Xiaomi Mi4 and Mi3 flagship smartphones can be easily upgraded to Android 7.0 Nougat firmware using AOSP ROM. Though it is an unofficial ROM, it brings all the features of Nougat on your Mi devices. As of now, only the Nexus device users are the lucky one to get the Android 7.0 Nougat update.
Vasishath, the XDA Senior Member is responsible for the development of the Nougat AOSP ROM, so all credits goes to him. The Android 7.0 AOSP ROM is also available to download for several other smartphones including OnePlus One, Nexus 5, Xperia Z3, Xperia Z2, and more. As the ROM is still under development, users may find some bugs and issues while operating the device which will be resolved in the next coming updates. So without much wasting time, do follow the below steps carefully to install Android 7.0 Nougat ROM on your Xiaomi Mi4 and Mi3.
- The update process is compatible only with Xiaomi Mi3 and Mi4. Don’t try on any other Mi device.
- Take complete backup of all your important data.
- Maintain a battery level of 70% or more in order to avoid unnecessary power-off between the update processes.
- Make sure TWRP recovery is installed on your device. (Complete guide)
- Create Nandroid backup from recovery mode.
Disclaimer: Flashing custom roms voids company warranty. Sometimes it may also brick your MIUI device if doesn’t followed the steps correctly. We should not held responsible for any damage to your device.
How to install Android 7.0 Nougat ROM on Mi3 and Mi4:
1. Download the Nougat ROM, Kernal, and Gapps from the above download section to your computer.
2. Take a USB cable and connect the device with PC. Now copy all the above three files to your device SD storage.
3. Disconnect the phone with PC and turn it off. Now boot the device into TWRP recovery using appropriate hardware buttons (volume down + power button).
4. Then you need to perform Factory Reset. To do so, go to Wipe > Advanced Wipe > Select Wipe cache, Dalvik cache, System and data and then swipe to confirm the action.
5. Now head back to recovery main menu and tap on Install. Here you need to navigate the ROM zip file from device SD storage and swipe to start the flashing process. Once done, follow the same step to flash kernel and GApps package.
6. Then again wipe cache and Dalvik cache from recovery main menu.
7. Once finished, reboot the device and start enjoying Android 7.0 Nougat ROM on your Xiaomi Mi4 and Mi3 smartphone.
Any questions regarding the above tutorial? Drop a comment below!