Xiaomi Redmi Y1 and Redmi Y1 Lite are the latest budget Android smartphones launched in India last week starting from Rs. 6,999. Both the devices went on sale for the first time exclusively on Amazon.in as well as Mi.com. Xiaomi claims that it has sold over 150000 units of Redmi Y1 and Redmi Y1 in just 3 minutes of flash sale. Those who have ordered the device might be wondering whether their device will be eligible for MIUI 9 update or not. To clear their doubts, Xiaomi has officially confirmed that the Redmi Y1 and Redmi Y1 Lite will receive MIUI 9 Global Stable ROM. It doesn’t revealed specific timeframe, but one can expect in the early December.
As of now, Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 and Mi Max 2 are the only handsets upgraded to MIUI 9 ROM with other devices to follow soon. MIUI 9 is a major upgrade with several new features and performance improvements. Some of the top features of MIUI 9 ROM includes new Mi Video app, Spilt Screen, Smart Assistant, Smart App Launcher, Image Search, a retooled notification panel, and more.
Download Redmi Y1/Lite MIUI 9 Global Update
- Recovery ROM (Coming Soon)
- Fastboot ROM (Coming Soon)
How to Install MIUI 9 on Xiaomi Redmi Y1, Redmi Y1 Lite:
There are two methods to update your Redmi Y1, Redmi Y1 Lite to MIUI 9. Follow the one which best suits you.
System Update/Updater App Method:
1. Download the Recovery ROM from above download section and place it in your internal storage.
2. Launch Updater App > Click on the three dots in the top right corner and click Choose Update Package.
3. Here you need to select the ROM file which you’ve placed to internal storage.
4. Confirm to start the flashing process.
5. Once done, reboot to enjoy MIUI 9 ROM.
1. Firstly, make sure to unlock bootloader of your device. You can follow our guide on how to unlock Xiaomi’s bootloader.
2. Download the Fastboot ROM and extract it to your computer.
3. Download and install Mi Flash tool to your computer. Once done, launch the tool.
4. Connect your Redmi device to PC using a USB cable.
5. Click on ‘Refresh’ button in flash tool and it should show device ID.
6. Click Select and browse to a folder where you extracted the Fastboot ROM and click Flash.
7. Flashing process will start and it takes 3-5 minutes to finish.
8. Once done, the device will automatically reboot with MIUI 9.
Note: Make sure to backup your device as Fastboot process erases all your data.
How was your experience installing MIUI 9 Global Stable ROM on your Redmi Y1? Let us know via the comments.