Xiaomi has started rolling out MIUI 8 China/Global Developer ROM for all Xiaomi phones and will soon release China Stable and Global Stable ROM too. But there are many Xiaomi users who face difficulty in updating their device to latest MIUI 8 version. Now this users need not to look around as we have shared simple guide to flash MIUI 8 Recovery or Fastboot ROM on any Xiaomi phone. It is a full installation guide not based on OTA update mechanism.
Follow any one of the following three methods to install MIUI 8 Fastboot and Recovery ROM on Xiaomi devices.
Compatible devices: The below MIUI 8 update guides works with all Xiaomi smartphones & tablets including Redmi Note 3, Redmi 3/3X, Mi5, Mi4S, Mi Max, Mi Note Pro, Mi Pad 2 and more.
- Though the following update process is free from data loss, it is highly advisable to backup all your important data and files to a safe location.
- Make sure you device runs on MIUI 7 Global Stable ROM just in case if you’re looking to flash Global or Stable Developer ROM.
- The flashing process via recovery might not work with devices powered with MediaTek chipset and lock bootloaders.
- Maintain sufficient battery on your device to avoid unnecessary power-off between the flashing processes which might result in brick.
How to install MIUI 8 Fastboot and Recovery ROM on Xiaomi phones:
The following are the simple methods to flash MIUI 8 fastboot and recovery rom on Mi & Redmi phones –
Method 1: Via Mi Recovery
1. Firstly make sure Mi Recovery 2.0.1 is installed on your Xiaomi device. You can download from here.
2. Download MIUI 8 Recovery ROM from Mi official forum and transfer the same to your root of your device internal storage (not inside any folder). Make sure the rom file is in .zip extension. Now you need to rename the ROM file to “update.zip”.
3. Now from the tools folder, locate Updater app and launch on your phone.
4. Tap on the three dots (…) located at the top right corner of the app and choose “Reboot to Recovery Mode”.
5. The phone will now boot into Mi Recovery.
6. From the recovery main menu, choose Install Update.zip to System and confirm the flash by answering “Yes”. Once done, go back to main menu and choose “Reboot into system”.
That’s it! On booting to normal mode, you’ll notice MIUI 8 has been successfully installed on your device.
Method 2: Via Mi Updater App
This method is little similar to that of above method but here you need not to boot into Mi Recovery to flash MIUI 8 ROM. The ROM can be easily flashed directly from the Mi Updater application. Follow the below quick steps to install MIUI 8 Recovery ROM using Mi Updater application.
1. Download MIUI 8 ROM .zip file and copy the same to root of your device internal storage.
2. Launch Updater app from the app drawer.
3. Tap on the three dots (…) at the top-right corner of the screen.
4. From the list of options, choose “Choose Update Package”.
5. Choose the ROM .zip file which you have copied to device storage in step 1 and then confirm to start flashing process.
6. Once done, the device automatically reboots into normal mode.
Method 3: Flash MIUI 8 Fastboot ROM via Mi Flash tool
The first two methods works to flash recovery ROM while the following method is meant exclusively to flash Fastboot ROM via Mi Flash tool. Xiaomi users (Redmi Note 3, Redmi 3, Mi5, Mi4S, and Mi Max) with locked bootloaders need to unlock it using Mi Flash unlock tool.
2. Also install Mi Flash tool on your Windows PC.
3. Make sure to enable developer options and USB Debugging on your MIUI phone.
4. Then turn off your phone and boot into Fastboot mode (press & hold Volume down + power button).
5. Launch Mi Flash tool and then connect the phone to PC using a USB cable.
6. Copy the ROM address to MiFlash tool and then tap on “Refresh” button. Now you’ll see the device being displayed in the Mi Flash tool.
7. Finally tap on “Refresh” to start the flashing process. Just wait till the progress bar displayed is fully green. This indicates that the MIUI 8 rom has been successfully flashed on your phone.
Congratulations! Now your device has been upgraded to MIUI 8. Do share the post with your friends and let them install MIUI 8 ROM on their respective Xiaomi smartphones & tablets.