Xiaomi Mi Max gets official Android 7.0 Nougat update via OTA (over-the-air). It is based on MIUI 8 v6.12.29 China Developer ROM and currently rolled out to Chinese variant. Users on China Developer ROM can simply download the OTA update while users on Stable ROM needs to flash fastboot ROM via Mi Flash Tool. So, without much wasting time follow the below steps to update Xiaomi Mi Max to Android 7.0 Nougat manually.
The latest Nougat based MIUI update brings several features like Multiwindow, Doze, Improved Notifications, New Messaging Apps, Seamless Update, and other system-level changes for Gallery, Contacts, and more. Also Download CM14.1 ROM for Mi Max
- The update process works only with Xiaomi Mi Max. Don’t try to install on any other model.
- The update doesn’t include Google Play Store. So you need to install Google Play once the ROM is flashed.
- Make sure to backup all your important data for safer side and then proceed.
- The charging level on your device should be maintain to at least 60-70% in order to avoid power-off in-between the update process.
Disclaimer: Follow the steps accordingly otherwise you may end up with a brick. We are not responsible for any damage to your phone.
Nougat OTA Zip for Mi Max MIUI 8 v6.12.29 – Download
Full Nougat Fastboot file for Mi Max – Download
Recovery ROM for Mi Max Prime 64/128GB – Download
Fastboot ROM for Mi Max Prime – Download
Guide to Update Mi Max to Android Nougat Manually –
There are two ways to update your Mi Max to Android 7.0 Nougat firmware – Recovery ROM and Fastboot ROM. Read-on for both the methods.
Flashing Recovery ROM
1. Download Nougat Recovery ROM for Mi Max from the above download section and save it on your device.
2. Now launch ‘Updater’ app.
3. Locate three-dots menu located at the top of the screen and tap on it.
4. Tap on ‘choose update package’.
5. Wait till the installation process is completed. Once done, the device reboots on the latest version.
Flashing Fastboot ROM
1. Download Mi Flash Tool and install on your PC.
2. Now download MIUI 8 Nougat ROM and save it on your PC.
3. Boot your device into Fastboot mode using appropriate hardware buttons.
4. Take a USB cable and connect the device to PC.
5. Now you need to extract the downloaded Fastboot ROM package and copy its path address on the PC.
6. Launch Mi Flash Tool and paste ROM address to the address bar.
7. Now you need to tap on ‘Refresh’ button and then click on the ‘Flash’ button to start the installation process.
8. Hold your seat until the update process is completed. Once done, the device reboots on the latest version.
Congrats! You have successfully upgraded your Mi Max smartphone to MIUI 8 Android 7.0 Nougat firmware. If you encounter any issues during the update process, do let us know in the below comments.
Related: How to Fix Mi Max WiFi Connectivity issues