The Redmi Note 5 Pro is one among those Xiaomi devices which still runs on outdated Android 7.1 Nougat OS out of the box. This is really disappointing to Mi Fans as the device is just few months old to the market and still runs on 2-year old Android Nougat OS. If you’re Redmi Note 5 Pro users, then you will be happy to hear that the Android 8.1 Oreo update can be installed on your device.
An XDA Developer member found that the Redmi Note 5 Pro supports Google Project Treble which means it will get seamless Android version updates. So, he did an experiment where he changed the system image of the stock ROM of his smartphone to system image of Android 8.1 Oreo based AOSP ROM. And guess what? Everything was working fine. He successfully updated Redmi Note 5 Pro to Android 8.1 Oreo firmware without rooting or flashing a custom ROM.
If you own Redmi Note 5 Pro smartphone and wanted to install Android Oreo, then do follow the below quick steps.
Disclaimer: Follow the below steps accordingly or it might damage the device. XiaomiAdvices should not held responsible, proceed at your own interest.
How to Update Redmi Note 5 Pro to Android 8.1 Oreo firmware
Thanks to Project Treble, users can flash Chinese Android 8.1 Oreo firmware on their Indian Redmi Note 5 Pro variant. Before we take you to the flashing process, let’s have a quick overview at the pre-requisites needed for the procedure.
- The guide works only with Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro. Don’t try to flash the firmware on any other Xiaomi / Android model.
- Unlock Bootloader and install TWRP custom Recovery. (Complete guide)
- Backup all your device data.
- Make sure that your smartphone is fully charged. If not, your device will power-off in between the flashing process and ends-up with a brick.
- Download MIUI 9 China Android 8.1 Oreo Fastboot ROM from HERE
- Download the AOSP Oreo 8.1 system.img, from the link below. You have 2 options, either download the img with Gapps and SU included or without them. (We have went with Gapps & su)
Stock Unrooted Vanilla system img (Download here)
Rooted system img with GApps and SU (Download here)
Also Check: How to Root Redmi Note 5 Pro without PC
Step 1: Prepare the Android 8.1 Oreo files for installation
Before proceeding to the installation process, first we need to setup firmware files. To do so, you need to download necessary files from above links and then follow our quick steps listed here.
1. Firstly, you need to extract the MIUI 9 Android 8.1 Oreo firmware files to a new folder named ‘Firmware folder’.
2. Transfer the system img file (Stock Unrooted Vanilla system img) which you have downloaded from above, to ‘Firmware folder’.
3. When promoted, choose the paste and replace option to modify the firmware file.
4. Finally you need to compress the firmware folder back to .tgz (If you’re among those who doesn’t know to create .tgz files, simply take the help of the Google search).
Step 2: Flash Android 8.1 Oreo Firmware on Redmi Note 5 Pro
Once done with the above procedure, users need to transfer the firmware file to internal storage of Redmi Note 5 Pro. Now power-off your device and boot into TWRP Recovery (Power + Volume Down). Tap the ‘Install’ button and choose the firmware file which you have transfer to device storage. Swipe the screen to start the flashing process.
During this process, the device reboots multiple times. So, don’t be panic. Once done, the Redmi Note 5 Pro automatically boots into Android 8.1 Oreo firmware. Enjoy!