Hello MIUIers! Today we’ll guide you on how to download & install Android 8.1 Oreo based Lineage OS 15.1 firmware on Xiaomi Redmi 5A. It is a much stable ROM and can be used as daily driver.
Xiaomi Redmi 5A is a cheapest smartphone available in the market which comes with Android 7.1.1 Nougat out the box. As Android 8.1 Oreo is out, most of the Redmi 5A users will be eagerly waiting for the update. But unfortunately, it will be among those Xiaomi devices which might not receive further Android updates apart from MIUI update (List of Xiaomi Phones to get Android Oreo update). So, here we have shared the latest Lineage OS 15.1 (unofficial) custom ROM which brings most of the Android Oreo features.
Full credits goes to developers for their continuous contribution to Android Open Source Project. This Lineage OS 15.1 ROM is still under development, so users might face bugs and issues after flashing on your Redmi 5A. However, these issues will be fixed in their next update.
The Android 8.1 Oreo brings New Emojis, Picture-in-Picture mode, App Shortcuts and Widgets, New Settings Menu, Smart Text Select, Scanning apps for safety, Autoenable Wi-Fi, New Battery Setting, Advanced Doze Mode, and more. So, what are you looking for? Do follow our step by step guide on how to Download & install Android 8.1 Oreo Firmware on Redmi 5A.
- The guide is compatible only with Redmi 5A. Never ever think to flash the below ROM with any other Android/Xiaomi model.
- There should be enough battery level on your device to execute the flashing process.
- Backup all your important data including contacts, app data, media, etc. to safe location. This will help you to restore if any data loss occurs.
- Make sure to enable USB Debugging from Settings.
- Flash TWRP recovery your device. You can follow our quick guide on how to install TWRP on Xiaomi phones.
- Unlock Bootloader (Complete guide)
Disclaimer: Before you start the process, I just want to warn you that, by flashing custom ROM you will lose the warranty and sometime if you don’t follow the steps accordingly you will end with a brick. However it is very uncertain if you follow the steps carefully.
How to Update Redmi 5A to Android 8.1 Oreo Update via Lineage OS 15.1 ROM
1. Download Lineage OS 15.1 ROM and GApps (Google Apps) from the following link to your computer.
2. Connect your Redmi 5A device with PC using a standard USB cable. Transfer the above downloaded files to root of your device storage.
3. Disconnect the device from PC.
4. Turn off your device and boot into TWRP Recovery. Here is the method to boot into Recovery.
5. Now you need to follow our below step-by-step guide to flash Lineage OS 15.1 ROM using TWRP recovery.
Steps to Flash a Custom ROM using TWRP Recovery
Congrats! You’ve successfully upgraded your Redmi 5A to Android 8.1 Oreo firmware. If you need any kind of help during or after the flashing procedure, do leave a comment below.