Android 9.0 Pie GSI firmware update is available to download for Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 / Redmi 5 Plus. GSI is also known as a Generic System image. This guide helps to manually install Android 9.0 Pie update on Redmi Note 5 / Redmi 5 Plus.
It is a ported Android P 9.0 Generic System image which can be installed on Redmi Note 5 / Redmi 5 Plus using the project treble 8.1 vendors. The Project Treble is a new feature introduced by Google last year with the Android 8.0 Oreo. With the rollout of this feature, it makes easy for OEMs to port newer Android versions to their devices as well as make tasks easier for custom ROM developers.
To remind you, Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 is the same variant that was introduced in China as Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus. The device has a 5.99-inch FHD+ 18:9 full-screen display, is powered by Snapdragon 625 with up to 4GB of RAM and runs on Android 7.1.2 (Nougat) with MIUI 9.2 out of the box. It sports a 12MP rear camera with dual-tone LED flash and a 5MP front-facing camera. The device includes a 3GB /4GB of RAM and 32GB/64GB of internal storage option. There is also a microSD card slot for further expansion up to 128GB. The Redmi Note 5 / Redmi 5 Plus is backed-up by a 4000mAh battery.
Without much ado, follow the below steps to download Android 9.0 Pie update on Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 / Redmi 5 Plus and be the first among your friends to experience the latest Android 9 Pie update.
Also Read: Download Install Android 9.0 Pie on Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro
- This update process can be performed only on Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 / Redmi 5 Plus. Don’t try to install the ROM on any other Xiaomi/Android phone.
- Make sure to charge your phone at least 70% or more to avoid unnecessary power-off in-between the installation process.
- Ensure all your device data is backup to a safe location. This will help you to restore if any data loss occurs.
- You need a Laptop / PC and an original USB cable.
- Download and install the latest Xiaomi USB Drivers on your PC.
- Make sure to unlock the bootloader of your device. You can follow our guide on how to unlock Xiaomi Bootloader.
- Install TWRP Recovery on your Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 / Redmi 5 Plus.
Disclaimer: XiaomiAdvices is not responsible for bricking or damage of your smartphone during or after the procedure. Always, proceed at your own risk.
Warning: Known Bugs:
1 – Fingerprint not working or resets after a reboot.
2 – Hidden Network not working.
3 – WiFi and Bluetooth cannot be active at the same (WiFi turns off).
4 – DT2W not working, it’s working on AOSCP Vendor.
Required ROM and Gapps Package:
Download and Flash Latest TWRP Recovery 3.2.1-1 or higher
Download AOSPExtended OS for Redmi Note 5 / Redmi 5 Plus (vince) – Vendor image
P-DP4-sGSI-Aonly.zip – Download
How to Install Android 9.0 Pie GSI on Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 / Redmi 5 Plus
Before starting the Redmi Note 5 / Redmi 5 Plus Android P 9.0 GSI flashing process, do make sure you’ve installed the latest TWRP recovery on your device. Also, download the necessary flashing files from above-provided links.
1. Firstly, download the above necessary ROM packages on your Redmi Note 5 / Redmi 5 Plus internal storage.
2. Find the P-DP4-sGSI-Aonly.zip file and extract it.
3. Now you need to boot your device into TWRP Recovery. You can check how to boot Xiaomi phones into TWRP recovery.
4. From recovery main menu, perform Wipe > Advanced Wipe and select Dalvik/ART cache, cache System, Vendor, and Data and then swipe to wipe.
5. Now, you need to flash the AOSPExtended ROM on your Redmi Note 5 Pro. To do so, you need to tap on ‘Install’ and select aospextended-2018xxxxx-NIGHTLY.zip. Swipe to confirm the flash.
6. Next, you need to flash the extracted P-DP4 file: Tap on Install > select the extracted P-DP4 image file > Swipe to flash.
7. Before flashing the remaining POST-sGSI .zip files, you need to mount the device partition. To do so, tap on Mount and select System and Vendor.
8. Now, you’re all set to flash the remaining files including the POST-sGSI_1.zip, POST-sGSI_2.zip, and POST-sGSI_3.zip. From recovery main menu, tap on ‘Install’ and flash these files one after another.
9. Once done with the above step, you need to flash P-lag-fix.zip file.
10. Again, you need to mount system and vendor partition just like Step 8.
11. Finally, flash incall.zip to fix the incall sound issue.
12. Go back to recovery main menu, tap on ‘Reboot System’.
That’s it! You have successfully installed Android 9.0 Pie Generic System Image on your Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 / Redmi 5 Plus. For any issues during the above flashing procedure, do leave a comment below.