In August 2017, Google released its next iteration of a mobile operating system dubbed as Android 8.0 Oreo. Since its announcements, many smartphone OEMs have either released devices with this operating system or upgraded their old devices to the Oreo. Of all the smartphone vendors, Xiaomi also released Android 8.0 Oreo update to Mi A1 device.
Apart from this, it also announced an Android Oreo beta program for Mi Mix 2 earlier this year. Regarding the same, we have an official confirmation that the company has started rolling out Oreo-based MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM for this bezel-less smartphone.
The Oreo-based MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM update brings version number 8.1.18. All those Mi Mix 2 users on Global Beta ROM will receive the update via OTA. You can manually check for updates from the path Settings > About Phone > System Updates menu. Non-beta ROM users need to download & flash manually. You can refer to the below source link to download Mi Mix 2 Android Oreo-based MIUI 9 Global Beta ROM 8.1.18.
The update comes with several new features. Read on the following for complete changelog details –
- Local storage was optimized to create more space
System (Full display devices)
- Back gesture animation on full-screen devices was optimized.
- Full-screen gestures as an alternative for screen buttons.
- A separate guide for full-screen gestures.
- Fixes improper functioning of full-screen gesture after reboot
- Incorrect battery level on a status bar fixed.
- Swift draining of battery in idle mode fixed
- Incorrect display of camera interface when the language is set to Arabic fixed
- Fixes two Security in Accessibility settings
- Fix – Line ANR when using Bluetooth headphone for Line calls
Once the beta program is completed, Xiaomi will start rolling out Android 8.0 Oreo-based MIUI 9 Global Stable ROM update in the coming weeks. The Xiaomi Mi Max 2 is the next expected smartphone to get the taste of Google’s latest operating system.